RENA Salvage – Braemar Howells
Braemar Howells (BH) awarded 2 major contracts to UNIMAR in the immediate aftermath of the RENA running around on the Astrolabe Reef 10th October 2011.
- Management Services Agreement – Providing in-country turnkey support, management facilities and services to the BH team
- Marine Services Agreement – Chartering and managing all marine plant and equipment, personnel and developing methodology for recovery of distressed cargo from seabed and beach areas.
Client: Braemar Howells & Swedish Club on behalf of Mediterranean Shipping Co.
Project: RENA Salvage
Date: Commenced Q3 2011
Date: Completed Q1 2013
Personnel Employed: 12 UNIMAR Management & Up to 250 Contractors
Man-hours Completed: 400,000 – Multi-disciplined Beach & Marine Crews
- 13 Shallow Water Coastal Recovery Vessel Spreads’
- 2 Fixed Wing Aircraft
- 180t Crawler Crane x 1
- 120t Crawler Crane x 1
- Various Heavy Plant & Equipment
- UNIMAR were a leading component of a multi-faceted response and recovery team. Working closely with Maritime New Zealand, local government and regional IWI; we quickly assembled our salvage management team and commenced recovery of distressed cargo mid-October 2011
Work Scope on the Project Included:
- Establish quarantine facilities for receiving and processing recovered cargo
- Develop and implement recovery plans for submerged distressed cargo
- Charter and manage a multi-functional marine fleet for recovery operations
- Hire in and manage heavy plant and equipment for beach recovery and clean up
- Engage with all stakeholders and ensure smooth communications flow
- Audit and manage an array of specialist sub-contractors
- Develop and implement comprehensive HSSE which delivered zero LTI’s